Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

spectral
Adept II

Possible bug in the OpenCL driver ?

Hi,

I have a large 'kernel' that I have translated from C# into "OpenCL C" language.

When I run it, I got an "AccessViolationException".

Because I'm unable to debug the "OpenCL kernel" I have copy this code in a "kernel.c" file (remove the __global etc..., do a minor set of changes) and execute it.

The "C" (Win32) version work correctly... but the "OpenCL" kernel crash the application.

So I suppose that there is a problem in the OpenCL driver  and not in my code !!

If you are interested, I can send you an ".exe" file and the "Kernel code" to reproduce the problem, you can contact me at : viewon01@viewon.tv

NB: I work on the CPU only (2 cores), I read datas from the same location but write it at different position.

Thanks

0 Likes
15 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: viewon01 Hi,

I have a large 'kernel' that I have translated from C# into "OpenCL C" language.

When I run it, I got an "AccessViolationException".

Because I'm unable to debug the "OpenCL kernel" I have copy this code in a "kernel.c" file (remove the __global etc..., do a minor set of changes) and execute it.

The "C" (Win32) version work correctly... but the "OpenCL" kernel crash the application.

So I suppose that there is a problem in the OpenCL driver  and not in my code !!

If you are interested, I can send you an ".exe" file and the "Kernel code" to reproduce the problem, you can contact me at : viewon01@viewon.tv

NB: I work on the CPU only (2 cores), I read datas from the same location but write it at different position.

Please send kernel code to streamdeveloper@amd.com.  At which API function it is crashing.  Is it crashing at clBuildProgram or clEnqueueNDRangeKernel function?

0 Likes
spectral
Adept II

Thanks,

It is done, I have send the Kernel code and the executable that prepare the set of data and execute the kernel.

Thanks

0 Likes

viewon1,
This crash has been fixed in an internal version, but the kernel itself is not valid. Globally scoped global pointers are not valid in OpenCL.
0 Likes

Thanks a lot,

So, I have 2 questions now :

1) When will the new version will be available ?

2) You tell me "Globally scoped global pointers are not valid".

What I need is a way to access a "set of datas" from any method.
Should I pass this object by reference to all the methods ?

Is there a more elegant way to do this ?

Thanks 

0 Likes

I have update my code and now :

1 - I have remove the upload method and have only the trace method. This one receive all the parameters of the "upload" one.

2 - I pass the GB as a parameter to all the methods

But it still crash...

What is strange is that it does not crash at the first call of 'EnqueueNDRangeKernel' but crash the next time I call it !

Do you know a way to bypass the 'crash'... because now I can't continue to work on our project 😞

Thanks

0 Likes

Originally posted by: viewon01 I have update my code and now :

1 - I have remove the upload method and have only the trace method. This one receive all the parameters of the "upload" one.

2 - I pass the GB as a parameter to all the methods

But it still crash...

What is strange is that it does not crash at the first call of 'EnqueueNDRangeKernel' but crash the next time I call it !

Do you know a way to bypass the 'crash'... because now I can't continue to work on our project 😞

Thanks

Viewon01,

Could you please past complete sample(both runtime code and kernel code)?  Please give us details how to run if your code is not in C/C++.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have send a sample to your email address... have you receive it ?

NB: do you know when an update version of the SDK will be available ?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm still unable to execute my kernel without any crash... do you have some news for me ?

I suppose that I need the 'internal version' that Micah is talking about ?

Is there a way to get it in order to continue to work... our project has no progression due to the OpenCL problems that we meet 😞

Thanks for your help, regards

0 Likes

viewon01,
Does the most recent release fix the problem?
0 Likes

Hi Micah,

With the last SDK I got the following error/message during code compilation :

-----------------------------------------------

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz
-----------------------------------------------
Internal error: Compilation failed.

I have no other information !

Can you help me ?

0 Likes

Hi Micah,

The compilation failed because I have a .NET application with a UI... and it sounds that there is a problem with this (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2946105&group_id=290412&atid=1229014)

But when I run it in a command line version.... I still got a violent crash !!!

I have send my software with the OpenCL kernel to streamdeveloper@amd.com

Hope you will find a way to help me

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi Micah,

Have you receive the package I've sent you ? Have you find a way to fix the problem ?

If yes, is it possible to have a fix ?

Thanks

0 Likes

viewon,
We have received it and we are looking into it.
0 Likes
nythrix
Journeyman III

viewon: I suppose you're using Cloo. Have you tried building your kernel with the latest version of Clootils? That way you can tell whether the kernel or the application code is faulty.

0 Likes

Thanks Micah, thanks Nythrix,

For the compilation problem, it is resolved, it was a problem with the output console. Yes, I can compile it with my soft or with Clootils.

But it remain the "access violation" during execution.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes