Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

neutrone
Journeyman III

GPU PerfStudio 2.1 unable to connect client

GPU PerfStudio 2.1 client times out

Hi guys, 

I am trying to use new GPU PerfStudio 2.1 with my DirectX 11 3D engine and I can't connect to the server. Client keeps timing out and the server has the following error in the log:

09:18:21.132626: Error:                 : InitCommunication - WSAStartup network subsystem not ready for communication

09:18:21.133626: Error:   MicroDLL      : Call to UpdateHooks() in DX11Server.dll failed

I am connecting locally on port 80 and I've have disabled UAC and firewall. There are no other apps listening on port 80. I've tried other ports but I get the same error. I use 32bit Windows 7.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
12 Replies
plohrmann
Staff

Does your 3D engine use sockets at all? According to Microsoft documentation this error can be reported if more than one socket implementation is being used simultaneously.

We have not run into this issue, but we will try to reproduce it and will let you know if find a solution.

0 Likes

No, there are no sockets or any other networking code in the engine at the moment.  

On the other hand, it has several threads, don't know if that could be causing a problem?

0 Likes

Correction

3D engine is using FMOD library as a sound engine and I am not sure if it has any socket implementation, I am just investigating this ...

0 Likes

Update

I've disabled FMOD and I still get the same error.

0 Likes

Can you try enabling the Windows Firewall? When the server starts, a message should appear asking whether or not to allow the application to use the network and will list three different network types (at least mine lists three), one of them will be selected by default, that is fine. Just click "OK" or "Allow". Hopefully it will work then.

Alternatively, if you have McAfee or Norton installed, it may have another firewall to contend with.

0 Likes

I don't have Norton nor McAfee, I tried various options with Windows firewall but no luck, always the same error ...

0 Likes

Can you try connecting to one of the DX10 or DX11 applications in the Microsoft DX SDK from August? I'd recommend trying with CubeMapGS for DX10 and DetailTessellation11 for DX11.

We have not been able to reproduce the issue, and if you can connect to one of those apps, then this issue is likely to be related to your application. If you cannot connect, then it is probably a system issue. Let us know so we can investigate more.

0 Likes

I can connect to DetailTessellation11 so it looks like it's related to my application.

After I ifdef-ed FMOD I stopped getting WSAStartup error, but client still hangs and times out without any error or warning messages. Last couple of lines in the log looks like this:

---------------BEGIN-------------------

App : C:\projects\engine\standalone\Neutron.exe

Time: 2010-Jan-27 08:48:06

---------------BEGIN-------------------

App : C:\projects\engine\standalone\Neutron.exe

Time: 2010-Jan-27 08:48:06

08:48:08.325413: Message: Server        :   0: 127.0.0.1  - /Process.xml

08:48:08.810441: Message: Server        :   1: 127.0.0.1  - /4044/DX11/ShowStack

0 Likes

okay, we can look into the FMOD issue.

Two potential solutions:

1) Drag and drop your application onto GPUPerfServer.exe located in the Server-Win32 folder (assuming your app is 32-bit). Once the app starts up, then connect with the client

2) Before you launch your app from the client, go the "Windows" menu, then Settings. Increase the "Connection Timeout" to be longer then you expect your app to take to start up. Click OK, then try launching your app again.

Let us know if these approaches work.

0 Likes

I already tried that but no luck ...

My guess is that PerfStudio has some sort of an issue with applications which run on multiple threads. In my case I create device on main thread but swap chains and all other rendering related stuff is handled on render thread. 

0 Likes

We are currently working on additional support for applications which use multiple device contexts, but in terms of CPU threads it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you mind sending me a zip of your application so that we can use it for internal testing? Use my signature below to get my name; my email address: FirstName.LastName@amd.com

0 Likes

I am just preparing installer for the tech demo, I'll email you the link as soon as I finish (next couple of days)

0 Likes