Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

derekl
Journeyman III

Runtime behaviour

Pop-ups and SDK dependency

Hi,

Currently the behaviour when running on an AMD system is that the user is required to install the ATI stream SDK (As well as the OpenCL compatible drivers). I would like to know if/when AMD will be including all of the runtime requirements with the OpenCL drivers like nVidia currently does.

Secondly, when the the programs are built at runtime, several console windows briefly pops up and then closes (presumably for each device). Is there any way currently, to suppress this pop-up behaviour? If not, will future updates fix this and when?

Thirdly, I have noticed when I initialize openCL, the screen flickers briefly. Although this is a minor inconvenience, nVidia drivers do not do this and provides for a less distracting user experience. Just for my curiosity, is there any intention (if it is possible) to fix this?

Many thanks,

Derek

0 Likes
12 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Originally posted by: derekl Hi,

Secondly, when the the programs are built at runtime, several console windows briefly pops up and then closes (presumably for each device). Is there any way currently, to suppress this pop-up behaviour? If not, will future updates fix this and when?

Thirdly, I have noticed when I initialize openCL, the screen flickers briefly. Although this is a minor inconvenience, nVidia drivers do not do this and provides for a less distracting user experience. Just for my curiosity, is there any intention (if it is possible) to fix this?

What is your system configuration? Which programs are giving the above issues? Samples coming with the SDK? if not, could you provide a test case to reproduce it?

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

console window is most likely a compiler cll.exe and llc.exe.

but i do not see flicker.

0 Likes
derekl
Journeyman III

I am running on a 4870 X2 with the Catalyst 9.12 hotfix OpenCL drivers installed.

The flicker occurs when I call clGetPlatformIDs(). This is the first OpenCL function I call.

The windows pop up when I call clBuildProgram(). So it very likely IS clc.exe and llc.exe and what ever other exe is invoked. If the cl calls are from within a console application then you wont see the pop-ups. I however, am running it from an MFC application. Does anyone know how I can suppress them or if this will be fixed in a future release of the SDK or driver?

0 Likes

The issue has been reported to developers and they are looking into it. 

0 Likes

I am wondering what the status is on the clBuildProgram popup windows? is there a way to suppress the windows?

0 Likes

adakkak,

Is it still observed with the latest drivers/SDK? Could you give more specifics of your issue?  Like the operating system and the driver used? It would also help if you can provide a test case to reproduce the issue.

0 Likes

Here is a test program which causes several console windows to appear.  Windows XP x64, Catalyst 10.2, ATI Stream SDK 2.0.1

#include <windows.h> #include <CL/cl.h> #define PINDEX 0 #define DINDEX 0 #define NPIDS 10 cl_platform_id pids[NPIDS]; #define NDIDS 10 cl_device_id dids[NDIDS]; cl_context_properties cprops[] = {CL_CONTEXT_PLATFORM, 0, 0}; cl_context context; cl_program program; const char* psource = "__kernel void z(__global int* val){val[get_global_id(0)]=0;}"; int WinMain(HINSTANCE inst, HINSTANCE pinst, LPSTR cmdline, int cmdshow) { clGetPlatformIDs(NPIDS, pids, NULL); clGetDeviceIDs(pids[PINDEX], CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, NDIDS, dids, NULL); cprops[1]=pids[PINDEX]; context = clCreateContext(cprops, 1, dids + DINDEX, NULL, NULL, NULL); program = clCreateProgramWithSource(context, 1, &psource, NULL, NULL); clBuildProgram(program, 1, dids + DINDEX, "", NULL, NULL); clReleaseProgram(program); clReleaseContext(context); return 0; }

0 Likes

Chris244,

Developers are looking into the issue, thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes

I continue to see console windows appearing when using ATI Stream SDK 2.1.  This is disappointing.  Will this issue be addressed?

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

I see flickering (console windows pop ups and immediately closes) on Vista x86, SDK 2.01, Catalyst 10.2 (probably - where short catalyst number written in Catalyst center? not in "About" section...)
0 Likes

Chris,

This was not fixed in SDK 2.1. The issue will be fixed in one of the upcoming releases.

0 Likes

I also have these annoying windows popping up. Please, ATI, fix it already. Do not make one of your customers regret buying ATI card for computing.

The windows seem to appear only in non-console applications.

Windows 7 x64. Stream SDK 2.1

0 Likes