Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bkoenig
Journeyman III

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

OpenCL doesn't work

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 (64-bit) and want to use AMD's OpenCL library. I installed the correct driver and the Stream SDK v2.0-beta4. My problem was that if I start a program after a few seconds the machine freezed. A few seconds later Windows showed the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" and the program was not executed successfully.

In case somebody of you has the same error here's a possible solution: Install the "ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver". Unfortunately it seems like that AMD doesn't provide this driver anymore. It would be nice if someone has further information about obtaining this package.

Best regards, Björn

0 Likes
5 Replies
raboni
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. I'm working with OpenCL for my bachelor thesis and need to know how to solve this problem, because there are some time consuming tasks that need to be calculated and I have to compare the time between cpu and gpu execution with different settings. I installed the latest Stream SDK 2.0 beta 4 and use Windows 7 64-bit. When I run my calculations on my quad core I get no errors but if the program runs on my 4850 the screen freezes. If the calculation time is under 5 seconds the screen begins working again and I get the correct results, but if it takes longer than that Windows 7 gives me an "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" after a black/gray screen.

Is it possible, that the OpenCL program blocks the whole gpu, so that no other program can access it any longer? Is there a way around this behaviour or do I need a second gpu to let the program run on the second one?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: raboni I have the same problem. I'm working with OpenCL for my bachelor thesis and need to know how to solve this problem, because there are some time consuming tasks that need to be calculated and I have to compare the time between cpu and gpu execution with different settings. I installed the latest Stream SDK 2.0 beta 4 and use Windows 7 64-bit. When I run my calculations on my quad core I get no errors but if the program runs on my 4850 the screen freezes. If the calculation time is under 5 seconds the screen begins working again and I get the correct results, but if it takes longer than that Windows 7 gives me an "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" after a black/gray screen.

Is it possible, that the OpenCL program blocks the whole gpu, so that no other program can access it any longer? Is there a way around this behaviour or do I need a second gpu to let the program run on the second one?

Disable both VPU recover and watchdog time.

Steps to disable VPU

1. Access the Catalyst Control Panel

2. Select Advanced > Graphics Settings > VPU Recover

3. Unclick Enable VPU Recover

0 Likes

yes OpenCL can block whole GPU which can not switch context as a CPU. so when you run OCL kernel then it run only that kernel and nothing else.

i suggest to broke you kernel to smaller parts which do not take to run longer then 5 second. because if you make mistake in you code and it lock in loop then you must restart whole program. because it is dangerous to disable watchdog..

0 Likes
raboni
Journeyman III

Okay I'll look into it how to break the program up into more parts. Thanks you two for your quick answer!

0 Likes

Raboni,
Another option is you can disable the watchdog timer on windows. This is highly discouraged as it means that if the GPU freezes, then your system needs a reboot, but if you know that the code works and you just want to run tests, it can be temporarily disabled.
0 Likes