Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

pkouame
Journeyman III

RenderMonkey 8.2 + Snow Leopard + Parallels 5 + Windows 7

Unable to Link OpenGL ES 2.0

Hi - the install seems to work fine and most of the opengl proper samples are working.  The openGLES 2.0 aren't though...I get Unable to link.  They seem to compile though.  I have installed your opengles 2.0 Emulator just in case and same results.  Can anyone provide any help?  

There is a post somewhere in here about running the NVidia Emulator, but that doesn't seem to allow changing the default driver (always reverts back).  Will this only work in a boot camp configuration?  Not sure where logs are located, so my attempts have been limited to swapping various libES drivers to no avail.

By the way, ES2.0 examples from various sources run fine under this configuration.  Like the Open GL ES 2.0 Programming Guide ones and the PowerVR SDK ones...

Config:

MAC Snow Leopard 10.6.1 - NVidia GeForce 8800GT (sorry...)

RenderMonkey 1.8.2

Parallels 5

Windows 7

Thanks in advance,  Patrice

0 Likes
5 Replies
wgarrett
Journeyman III

I too have tried RenderMonkey using Windows 7 in a virtual machine provided by Parallels Desktop 5 on Snow Leopard, and have the same problem.  I truly wish RenderMonkey were available for Mac OS X, but since it isn't, I went the same route.  The DirectX & OpenGL examples work perfectly, but the OpenGL ES examples fail to link.  Of course, since I'm learning OpenGL ES 2.0 for the iPhone, that's the very piece I hoped would work.  I did install the ES2 emulator - don't know if it's needed, and don't know if installing it AFTER RenderMonkey would be a problem.

I'm not certain if it's a virtual machine issue or an NVidia issue.  I'm using the NVidia 9600M GT, and wonder if the thread pkouame alluded to may be related:Rendermonkey + OpenglES 2.0 = GL_FALSE.  The NVidia emulator isn't an option inside the VM, and wouldn't be a good solution anyway (emulating a hardware inside an emulated hardware - yuck.)

I realize this is probably not a supported architechure, but it would open up a world of resources to us Mac users, so any help or advice is appreciated!

Bill

0 Likes

I didn't find any config in RenderMonkey that would let me tell it that the ES2 emulator was installed.  I had installed it after RenderMonkey, and even though I enabled the debug output in the ES Control Panel, nothing was being generated.  I uninstalled RenderMonkey and reinstalled, and now it appears to try to use it.  Still fails at the linking stage.

Here's the ES2_Debug text that appears now when I just start a new project and add an OpenGL ES effect:

ES Emulator error: GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE - found at the end of glEnable
ES Emulator error: GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE - found at the end of glAttachShader
ES Emulator error: GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE - found at the end of glTexImage2D
ES Emulator error: GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE - found at the end of glAttachShader
ES Emulator error: GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE - found at the end of glTexImage2D

0 Likes

No.  You are running on a virtual machine on a Mac.

That is definitely an unsupported configuration.

0 Likes

Having the ES2 emulator installed is not a requirement for RenderMonkey. My guess is that it is likely an NVidia driver limitation / configuration issue, as is the case in the other thread.

As Byron pointed out, you are using an unsupported configuration. I'll see if any of the Mac owners in my group would be able to give this a try though.

0 Likes

I have also encountered the same problem.

OpenGL ES Examples can't run in RenderMonkey 1.82+Windows 7.

0 Likes