Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

codeboycjy
Journeyman III

Get started with IL.

Hi:
   i've been using brook+ and opencl for quite a while. Due to some reason, i'm gonna switch my work to CAL.

After checking the IL code in the samples of CAL, i think it's a little hard to learn comparing to the highlevel interfaces.

How could i get start with my journey? Do i have to learn ISA too? i think it's hard for me to understand everything about ISA.

0 Likes
4 Replies
youplaboom
Journeyman III

For a start I would advise to learn the CAL execution environment (stream/resources, kernel compiling, parameters binding, ...) which is little to know and easy to understand really, while still using the brook+ compiler to generate IL code.

The CAL execution environment gives you better flexibility for asynchronous kernel execution and stream management.

Then you can progressively look at the generated IL code and tweak it by hand.

0 Likes

thank u, I thought the first thing to do is learning IL first which is frustating at hand

0 Likes

Reading all docs you have, including IL spec will definitely help.

0 Likes

IMHO, looking in generated code by brook is really tedious task. Use samples from CAL SDK, they will help a lot. However, to get deeper you indeed have to dig this forum through, I haven't found any other better way.

0 Likes