cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ThijsWithaar
Journeyman III

openCL on RV610 / HD3200 ?

the driver reports it's possible, but cl::Program::getBuildInfo() returns "link failed"

Hi,

Is it possible to do openCL computations on a RV610 graphics card ?

It's an on-board ATI radeon 3200.

With a test-program, I can compile just fine for the CPU, but any attempt to build the program for the GPU results in a "link failed". I tried some of the example, and also a tiny one:

__kernel void test(__global float yOut)
{
    //yOut = get_global_id(0);
}

Is the card just too cheap, or I am doing something wrong ?

I've attached the openCL info of the graphics-card. It does not have any extensions at all, but I'm not sure how important that is.

Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 2 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work group size: 256 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 500Mhz Address bits: 32 Max memeory allocation: 33554432 Image support: No Max size of kernel argument: 1024 Alignment (bits) of base address: 2048 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: No Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: None Cache line size: 0 Cache size: 0 Global memory size: 33554432 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Global Local memory size: 16384 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 00000000 Name: ATI RV610 Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Driver version: CAL 1.4.467 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.0-beta4 Extensions:

0 Likes
5 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

OpenCL not supported on RV610.

see following link for list of devices suppported.

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDKBetaProgram/Pages/default.aspx

0 Likes

If OpenCL were to go into production like this, I would find it very troubling.  It is a BUG to have device be found, and set to Available, when in-fact it can never run a kernel.

I understand this is a beta, but this needs to be addressable in production code.  Otherwise, customers / users of applications are going to get runtime exceptions, not mere a statement like 'Your Device is un-available, or does not support OpenCL'.  This extra support confusion might cast ATI in a poor light.

0 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. The 6XX series of cards do not have the required hardware to execute OpenCL kernels, so this should not have been displayed as available for execution.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Thanks for reporting this. The 6XX series of cards do not have the required hardware to execute OpenCL kernels, so this should not have been displayed as available for execution.

The same is happening with my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, which I presume does not have the required hardware, either, since it is not on the supported list of GPUs. Thanks.

0 Likes

MrNetrix,
The HD3XXX series of cards is also based on the R6XX series of chips.
0 Likes