Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Sceptic
Journeyman III

calInit(); causes a segmentation fault

Hi...

To the devs:

I'm participating in a distributed computing project hosted by www.distributed.net and running the ATI stream version of the client.

I ran this project succesfully under Ubuntu 9.04 with driver 9.10 installed.

I then upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and installed the same driver version (9.10) but the client dies horribly with a segfault.

I filed a bug report at distributed.net (http://bugs.distributed.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4260) about this.

My question to you is: What does calInit() do internally? Can you show some pseudo code about what calInit() does?

Best thing would be to have source code for calInit() to look at, but the source are closed I guess.

My current theory is that calInit() fails when trying to connect to a display (e.g. :0.0)  because of newer libraries in U9.10 versus U9.04, but I don't know which, so I'm hoping you could help me with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Sceptic

0 Likes
6 Replies
rahulgarg
Adept II

I can confirm that CAL applications are segfaulting on Ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit) with 9.10 Catalyst though I haven't yet tested whether it happens right in calInit or not. The samples are segfaulting.

0 Likes

Note : In case it was unclear to OP, I am not associated with AMD. Just confirming that I have the same problem.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: rahulgarg Note : In case it was unclear to OP, I am not associated with AMD. Just confirming that I have the same problem.

Thank you for your feedback   It seems that others are experiencing the same thing as we are but with different distros and the common thread seems to be a newer kernel. Hmm!

Sceptic

0 Likes

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are looking into it.
0 Likes

Could you post which asic did you used? i tried a Rv630, and i didn't get assert.

0 Likes

The card I'm using is a HD4670 and the asic is RV730 XT.

Ubuntu 9.10 comes with two kernels (at least on my system), 2.6.28-16 and 2.6.31-14.

So, if I'm running 2.6.28-16 the client run normally, but when I try to use the 2.6.31-14 kernel, the client segfaults within calInit().

I've traced it down to a vfprintf() call that fails horribly and segfaults when using 2.6.31-14.

Sceptic

0 Likes