cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

twiig
Journeyman III

CAL version mismatch?

I am trying to write a simple OpenCL program to enumerate the platforms and devices on my computer.  However, each time I run an OpenCL program (mine or the samples provided by ATI), I get an error that tells me my OpenCL version is wrong (see below).  In the ATI samples it also adds that no GPU is available and is falling back to CPU.

I did update my drivers and OpenCL to the newest version found here: http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx.  No other OpenCL version has ever been installed.

I am running Windows7 RC on an intel cpu and ati mobility radeon hd 4650.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For test only: Expires on Sun Feb 28 00:00:00 2010

*** CAL version mismatch:

This OpenCL build requires version 1.4.422, version 1.4.344 installed.

Aborting.

0 Likes
21 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Did you have a previous installation of CAL in your system?

0 Likes

I think I may have.  I was attempting to install a version of OpenCL and I grabbed a previous version.  I did uninstall this before installing beta4 though.  Could there be a piece left around somewhere, and any ideas how to remove it?

0 Likes

did you install beta driver?

0 Likes

Did you uninstall your previous driver too, before installing the new one?

You can also try using a driver cleaner to ensure that there are no leftovers.

0 Likes

i did install the beta driver, and I did try wiping everything ati related and starting from scratch to no avail.  I will look into the driver cleaner.  Any suggestions? I am not familiar with driver cleaners.

0 Likes

Can you do a search in the system to see that there are no other CAL libraries present?

Also could you try running the FindNumDevices CAL sample and post the result? 

0 Likes

It seems that my driver is not being updated with the beta version available for download.  To double check, the first download under the Windows Vista/7 is a driver for my graphics card, correct?  After installing the software, my driver does not seem to be getting updated.

Am I missing something?

0 Likes

Seems that you have a previous version of CAL still present in your system (assuming that you have installed the display driver available with the SDK), are you able to run the CAL samples included in the SDK? 

0 Likes

I have the feeling it is a problem with my driver not being up to date.  I tried updating to the newest driver release and my problem changed from

to

This OpenCL build requires version 1.4.422, version 1.4.403 installed.

I tried searching for previous cal libraries on my system, but found nothing.  Also, I ran the FindNumDevices sample.  The results are below.

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185

Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.403

Use -? for help

CAL initialized.

Finding out number of devices :-

Device Count = 1

CAL shutdown successful.

Press enter to exit...

0 Likes

Originally posted by: twiig   I tried updating to the newest driver release and my problem changed from

to

This OpenCL build requires version 1.4.422, version 1.4.403 installed. 

You said newest driver release, are you not using the drivers which came with the SDK? To use beta4 SDK you have to install the display driver available with the OpenCL download.

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

You should not be installing any other display drivers.

0 Likes

I simply cannot get these drivers to install.  If I start from scratch and do a custom install, the selection to install the display driver does not appear.  After installing the newest release drivers (Catalyst 9.9), then try installing the sdk beta drivers, the box next to display drivers is not modifiable and informs me that the newest drivers are already installed.

0 Likes

You need not install the catalyst drivers. You don't need any other drivers other than the one's in the link I have provided above.  Install the display driver(the one with the SDK) in a clean system and install the beta4 sdk.

0 Likes

Here is what I've done exactly:  I uninstall everything from ATI (drivers, ccc, sdk, ect...).  Then I try to install the drivers given with the sdk.  It will not let me.  There is no option in the custom install.  Express install does not install the drivers.

Then, when I have given up, I install the catalyst 9.9 drivers just so I can use my computer normally.  If I then try to install the drivers with the sdk, I see the option, but it is unmodifiable because it thinks the drivers are up to date.  I am suspecting this is Sony's fault (I am on a Vaio).

0 Likes

I have noticed one thing.  The INF under Vista_Win7\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF do not have mobility products listed, as opposed to the INF in catalyst 9.9 drivers.  Can anyone verify they have the sdk beta drivers installed and working on a mobility radeon?  The page they are downloaded from has my card listed (mobility radeon hd 4650). ...?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: twiig I have noticed one thing.  The INF under Vista_Win7\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF do not have mobility products listed, as opposed to the INF in catalyst 9.9 drivers.  Can anyone verify they have the sdk beta drivers installed and working on a mobility radeon?  The page they are downloaded from has my card listed (mobility radeon hd 4650). ...?

Twiig,

OpenCL supports Mobility Radeon HD 4650.

could you please following steps again to install a driver?

1. uninstall ATI CCC

2. Use Driver cleaner Pro free software to make sure it remove all driver files.(http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/other_tools/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm)

3. Restart system

4. installl driver available at http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

5. Restart system again.

6. Run FindNumDevices.exe

Hope it helps you.

0 Likes

Hi twiig,

Can you grab the driver again? I was looking into this and found that the mobility parts were indeed missing from the driver. I had our folks regenerate it again and I believe those ids should now be there. I apologize for the inconvenience! If it still doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll check on it again.

Michael.

0 Likes

I tried installing the driver again with the same result (no option to install the driver from the custom install menu) after uninstalling my current driver.  I checked the INF file again (to be clear, I looked at ...Vista_Win7\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\C7_90120.inf and CH_90120.inf) and found no string analogous to ""ATI Radeon HD 4670" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9498&SUBSYS_29331682" for mobility radeon cards.  Also, both the files were created on Oct. 14, so perhaps the update didn't make it online?

Thanks,

-Tyler

0 Likes

Hey Tyler, can you check to make sure the md5sum for the file you downloaded matches what is posted on:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDKBetaProgram/assets/ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-beta4.md5sum

I just downloaded and took a look at the INF file and its got:

"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9552
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9553
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series " = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9555
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9480
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9488
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94A0
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850" = ati2mtag_M9x8, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_944A
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 X2" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_944B
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4860" = ati2mtag_M9x, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94A1
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870" = ati2mtag_M9x8, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_945A

0 Likes

bingo!  not sure why the last one wasn't up to date.  took the normal time to DL - ie, several minutes.

thanks for the help!

0 Likes

Tyler, MY apologies for us forgetting the ids in the first place! Glad it is working for you now. 🙂

0 Likes

I have pretty much the same thing happening on a Lenovo Thinkpad T500.

However, it has an ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650. This card was supported in the 1.4beta, but it is not currently listed as supported for the 2.0beta. Can someone tell me if this card will be supported by the 2.0beta or if I need to order another card?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes