rahulgarg
Adept II

Beta4 is out!

with gpu support!!

2.0 beta4 appears to be out!

0 Likes
58 Replies

Hi mat69,

You should set the environment variable ATISTREAMSDKSAMPLESROOT to point to your installation directory to compile cal samples.

0 Likes

Driver update: Just got word from the web team in India that it's all up again! (thank goodness!) Test downloaded them just to be sure and got all 3 on my home machine AND the XP drivers are all good as well this time!

Sorry for the delay! Just happened to hit the particular time when my key folks are out and I had to wait for the folks in India to get to the fix.

Carry on as you were... 🙂

Michael.

0 Likes
dr_jaymahdi
Journeyman III

Hi,

Does this SDK support "remote Stream Application execution" ?

In other words, am I able to run applications remotely when I connect through SSH to a machine that contains an OpenCL compatible video card?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi dr_jaymahdi,

The same mechanism to get remote login execution applies from: http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

0 Likes

Hi Michael.Chu:

Will AMD/ATI be fixing this issue anytime soon in future SDK releases?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi dr_jaymahdi,

It's something we are looking at for future driver releases.

Michael.

0 Likes

Hi Michael, is there instruction for doing so (remotely running ati stream) for kde on suse 11? The app note only describes for gnome. Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi edward_yang,

I can try to see if I can figure out such a set of instructions for kde on suse 11. But the earliest I could probably even take a look is in 2+ weeks (need to get back from business travel and actually find a machine to setup suse 11 on... :-)).

Ultimately, what the instructions are trying to do is make sure X is started with the -ac option. You'd need to find out where X was being launched from and add the -ac option there. The other parts of the knowledge base article just talk about making sure the /dev devices have permissions opened up and your DISPLAY variable setup properly.

Is this a machine you will constantly be power cycling? Or can you also log into it at the X console and run "xhost +" and then walk away from it?

0 Likes

Hi michael.chu,

I'd like to report that opensuse 11.1 kde can work remotely with ati stream (through ssh) out of the box, after granting access to /dev/ati/card* and setting DISPLAY to ":0.0".

After installing the 8.67 beta driver both cal and opencl seem to work with my HD4850 under opensuse 11.1

Time to do some programming.

Thank you & AMD!

0 Likes
ANogin
Journeyman III

Is there some good way of making beta4 work on RHEL5? I can get part of the way by:

1. Install the gcc43-c++
  2. Change samples/cal/Makefile.common to say "CXX = g++43"
  3. Change make/openclsdkdefs.mk to say "CC := g++43" and "LD := g++43"

After the above steps, the cal samples compile but there is still a problem with openCl as lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so is linked to expect /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 to be the 4.3 one, while in fact on RHEL the /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 is 4.1 and 4.3 is /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/4.3.2/libstdc++.a

P.S. With NVIDIA the "CXX=g++43" approach works as the SDK does not come with an already linked libOpenCL.so; instead I get to link it correctly during the installation process.

0 Likes

Hi ANogin,

We'll be adding RHEL support in a future release. We definitely recognize it as a necessity for the community. There are just some C++ compatibility fixes were are finishing up.

Michael.

0 Likes
mat69
Journeyman III

I can not run the examples, I always get a SIGSEV in /home/kde-devel/steam/lib/x86_64/libaticaldd.so

I also can not compile the cal-examples as it does not find cal.h and calcl.h

0 Likes
tak
Journeyman III

I use HD 4870 graphic card. CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT attribute is false. Will it be available in future version??

And, CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS is empty (output was ""). Is it OK?

thanks

0 Likes

Originally posted by: tak I use HD 4870 graphic card. CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT attribute is false. Will it be available in future version??

And, CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS is empty (output was ""). Is it OK?

thanks

Yes, this is expected. Extensions are not supported currently.

0 Likes
craft_coder
Adept II

The platform requirements say it needs SSE 3.x.  Does that mean > 3.0 (i.e. Prescott P4 and Pentium D)?

0 Likes

I guess I should be more clear:

Does it require SSE3 or SSSE3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

I need to know if I need a new AGP graphics card (e.g. 4650) or a completely new system.  Funds are tight and I don't care that much about performance, right now - just want to dabble.  Thanks.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: craft_coder I guess I should be more clear:

Does it require SSE3 or SSSE3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSSE3

I need to know if I need a new AGP graphics card (e.g. 4650) or a completely new system.  Funds are tight and I don't care that much about performance, right now - just want to dabble.  Thanks.

If you're referring to the OpenCL beta, then SSE3, judging by the FAQ:

The CPU component of OpenCL bundled with the ATI Stream SDK works with any x86 CPU
with SSE3 or later. AMD CPUs have supported SSE3 (and later) since 2005.

I don't think any AMD CPUs support SSSE3 currently, so I wouldn't worry about AMD making it a requirement.

0 Likes

Hi Guys,

I noticed the new driver doesn't detect all cards unless I

export DISPLAY=:0

Might help in your case.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: emuller

export DISPLAY=:0

No changes here

Edit: now i've got another confirmation and it is like i was thinking - this is not only my prticular case, maybe really somethings wrong with our build, can some appropriate person look at our build placed here @ PKGBUILD http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31216  I would be very greatfull for any help

Oh and better translation of my "Memory protection violation" is "Segmentation fault"

Edit2: Im looking so deep, but maybe its closer, and simpler than I can imagine... Maybe this driver (i mean opencl funcionality here, everything else work good, but everything else looks like been copied from 8.660 which has 2.6.31 support) just dont support 2.6.31 kernel?

@ download zone has been written: Linux® (openSUSE™ 11.0, Ubuntu® 9.04)  <~~ which are so old systems, and definitely dont have 2.6.31 kernel inside... Even OpenSuse 11.1 is builded on Linux 2.6.27.7... which is 1 year old

0 Likes