cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ljbade
Journeyman III

Missing aticalcl.dll

I have installed the new beta 4 on Windows 7.

I am trying to run the samples but I keep getting a message that the program can't start as aticalcl.dll is missing.

I have a Nvidia GPU and a Intel CPU so I am trying to run them on the CPU device.

Where can I get this missing file?

0 Likes
16 Replies
whiteshadow
Journeyman III

I have tested out on Windows XP (32-bit) and Windows Vista (32-bit), both also facing the same problem.

I have double checked the environment variable, everything is correctly as mention in the installation note.

Looking for solution as well.

0 Likes

I downloaded the OpeCL ATI GPU drivers and it looks like the elusive aticalcl.dll is part of the ATI video card driver. Running the setup fails to install this as I don't have an ATI GPU in the system.

I hope they fix this before the final release version as the CPU support will be useless if a 4700 series card already needs to be in the system for it to install properly (since the GPU will always be faster than CPU).

0 Likes

Thanks for pointing out this unintended dependency with the CAL dlls. We are aware of the issue and are looking to provide a fix in a future release.

0 Likes

Thanks for ljbade pointing out the solution.

But as for today, the link to OpenCL GPU driver zip file had already remove. I wonder what actually happen.

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

0 Likes

I think the link to the latest OpenCL GPU driver had removed because wide spread of ATI Radeon HD 5900 series which written in one of the file in OpenCL GPU driver, CH_89950.inf

I hope the link will be up there again soon.

0 Likes

I have figured out how to get CPU only OpenCL to work:

1. Download and install the ATI Stream SDK and the samples
  2. Download the OpenCL GPU driver zip file
  3. Extract the zip file
  4. In command prompt go the folder ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-vista-win7\Vista_7\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\B_89940 (or W764_INF for 64 bit)
  5. run "expand aticalcl.dl_"
  6. run "expand aticalrt.dl_"
  7. copy the two new aticalcl.dll and aticalrt.dll files to c:\program files\ati stream\bin
  8. Run a sample to test it

0 Likes

I don't have the ATI GPU at the moment too and i have expanded the missing dlls. Most things now work, but the clGetPlatformIDs returns null platform id. I am not sure whether this behaviour is the result of expanding dlls without having the ATI video card or if null platfrom id is intended to represent the OpenCL platfrom when there is only one available.

The OpenCL standard says that supplying null platform id to other functions is "implementation-specific" so it should not be a problem in general but some wrapper libraries do expect non-null platfrom id and as such they will break with beta4 sdk.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Oleg Estekhin I don't have the ATI GPU at the moment too and i have expanded the missing dlls. Most things now work, but the clGetPlatformIDs returns null platform id. I am not sure whether this behaviour is the result of expanding dlls without having the ATI video card or if null platfrom id is intended to represent the OpenCL platfrom when there is only one available.

The OpenCL standard says that supplying null platform id to other functions is "implementation-specific" so it should not be a problem in general but some wrapper libraries do expect non-null platfrom id and as such they will break with beta4 sdk.

could you please tell us the importance of non-null platform id in wrapper libraries?

0 Likes

I didn't say that the null id is important. I said that some wrappers expect non-null id and refuse to accept the null one.

If you have the access to the source code of such library, you can remove the null check and recompile. But if you don't have the source code, then the library is basically useless as the clGetPlatformIDs usually is the first call it will make.

0 Likes

As of October 17, I was able to find the driver files to expand in the large SDK, e.g.,

ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-xp.zip (120 MB)

For my XP 32 system the files were in,

XP/Packages/Drivers/Display/XP_INF/B_89940

0 Likes

Originally posted by: jmundy As of October 17, I was able to find the driver files to expand in the large SDK, e.g.,

ati-opencl-beta-driver-v2.0-beta4-xp.zip (120 MB)

For my XP 32 system the files were in,

XP/Packages/Drivers/Display/XP_INF/B_89940

Thank you all very much for the heads-up! One more thing: "expand" wanted to know where to put the expanded files which can be provided as an additional parameter, also I had to manually rename the expanded files from .dl_ to .dll .

0 Likes

We did an in place update of the v2.0-beta4 SDK to hopefully take care of that issue (the OpenCL runtime requiring the CAL DLLs).

If you grabbed the SDK package before today and are still having issues with running in CPU only mode without an AMD GPU, try grabbing the updated v2.0-beta4 and seeing if it helps.

Michael.

0 Likes

Same problem with Linux. I want to use the CPU emulation but requires a atical.so

0 Likes

i downloaded SDK and checked ldd libOpenCL.lib and now there is not dependency on libatical*.dll

so download SDK again.

0 Likes

Hi bubu, were you able to redownload? Since it worked for nou, I wanted to make sure it really wasn't working for you.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu Hi bubu, were you able to redownload? Since it worked for nou, I wanted to make sure it really wasn't working for you.

I'm currently modifying my app and it does not compile yet... but I'll test soon once I finish the changes.

0 Likes