Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Illusio
Journeyman III

Beta4 blues

Hmm,

I'm having problems with Beta4 on Windows 7. With the exception of HelloCL, none of the samples appear to work. They all(Except HelloCL for some strange reason) exit with an error message like the following:

For test only: Expires on Sun Feb 28 00:00:00 2010
  Error: clBuildProgram failed. Error code : CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE

In my own code, I'm getting a "Link failed." build log on the GPU device and "Compilation failed." log on the CPU device when I compile sources from the SDK.(HelloCL_Kernels.cl and Mandelbrot.cl)

I have the following entries first in my path, no other references to the ATI Stream SDK

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Stream\bin\x86_64

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\ATI Stream\bin\x86_64

I also erased the old beta install directories.

Any ideas about what I could be missing? I know the compiler executes, because I can get more informative error messages if the source contains syntax errors.

0 Likes
13 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Which location are you running the samples from?

Can you try running the Reduction sample and post the error message?

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply! 😃

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\opencl\bin\x86_64>Reduction Input 0 1 3 1 3 1 5 0 3 1 4 5 3 0 4 4 2 1 3 3 3 3 4 3 0 0 2 1 1 0 1 3 2 4 0 3 0 3 3 2 5 2 0 2 0 4 4 5 2 3 2 1 2 5 4 4 3 1 2 0 4 0 5 2 4 1 5 0 1 1 1 0 5 4 2 3 5 2 2 4 0 3 3 2 2 2 0 3 4 3 0 3 2 2 5 1 1 5 1 4 5 2 1 1 4 3 5 3 5 0 0 2 0 5 0 5 1 0 2 1 1 3 0 3 4 4 5 1 2 1 0 5 0 2 0 4 0 0 4 4 3 4 5 3 2 1 2 2 4 0 5 0 2 2 2 5 2 3 3 5 4 0 0 1 3 0 3 5 0 4 4 1 1 1 4 4 0 1 0 2 2 5 4 3 5 0 1 2 3 3 1 3 1 3 3 2 0 5 0 4 4 3 3 5 0 1 2 0 4 2 5 4 3 3 1 1 1 5 2 1 2 1 0 0 4 4 5 5 5 2 4 0 0 3 3 1 3 3 2 1 3 0 0 0 4 2 3 0 0 4 1 4 0 4 4 1 For test only: Expires on Sun Feb 28 00:00:00 2010 BUILD LOG ************************************************ Link failed ************************************************ Error: clBuildProgram failed. Error code : CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE C:\Users\xxx\Documents\ATI Stream\samples\opencl\bin\x86_64>

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Illusio Thanks for the reply! 😃

could you please verify whether Reduction_Kernel.cl exists at that location or not?

0 Likes

I have exactly the same problem on Linux (openSUSE 11.1 x86_64)...

Running almost each sample code gives an error:

While my own codes give in the build log:

Link failed

All env variables seems to be set properly and the .cl file is always where it should be.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

I guess I've fixed this "CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE" problem ( on my x86 Gentoo Linux  + HD4870 Card ).

I just chmod some bin files like the code given below, and things look good now.

chmod 755 ${ATISTREAMSDKROOT}/bin/x86/*

0 Likes

My problem is solved - the reason was the unsupported hardware.

I was running sample apps on the RV670 based card while the JIT compiler is forced to use RV770 architecture.

Now I've tested all on RV770 based card and it runs smooth.

0 Likes

Linux (Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64)...

Originally posted by: babor

I am able to run HelloCL and Template samples.

NBody sample yields to the same error: CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE

BUT!.. but I am able to run NBody sample with the following command line argument:

./NBody --device cpu

I see a window with moving particles and it works fast enough to be almost happy.

But I wish to run this sample on GPU. Please, help!

0 Likes

did you have radeon 4000 or 5000? and instaled beta driver from stream sdk page?

0 Likes
carga
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: nou did you have radeon 4000 or 5000? and instaled beta driver from stream sdk page?

Well... actually it is onboard ATI Accelerator. 38xx series I guess. Does it mean that I must upgrade to fully participate in this fun? I have just installed latest fglrx driver. And now there is a small green text in right-bottom corner of the screen: "AMD Test Use Only". How is it possible to switch it off? It is absolutely no fun to have this text all time.

And if my gpu is so obsolete already, it is more user friendly to tell this fact directly in plain english instead of linker error, isn't it?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: cargaAnd if my gpu is so obsolete already, it is more user friendly to tell this fact directly in plain english instead of linker error, isn't it?

Well, to be fair, all supported GPUs are listed on the Stream-beta4 page right above the download links.

None of the IGP chipsets are on that list. But, of course, you still can use your CPU if it supports SSE 3.x!

0 Likes

Well... actually it is onboard ATI Accelerator. 38xx series I guess. Does it mean that I must upgrade to fully participate in this fun? I have just installed latest fglrx driver. And now there is a small green text in right-bottom corner of the screen: "AMD Test Use Only". How is it possible to switch it off? It is absolutely no fun to have this text all time.

Beta4 release is only for testing purpose. i.e It is not a production release software. That is why you will see that. Near future you can expect Production release.

And if my gpu is so obsolete already, it is more user friendly to tell this fact directly in plain english instead of linker error, isn't it?

This has been fixed internally. In next release you will see appropriate error message.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: carga Linux (Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64)...

Originally posted by: babor

I am able to run HelloCL and Template samples.

NBody sample yields to the same error: CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE

BUT!.. but I am able to run NBody sample with the following command line argument:

./NBody --device cpu

I see a window with moving particles and it works fast enough to be almost happy.

But I wish to run this sample on GPU. Please, help!

Which GPU are you using?  You should have 4xxx or higher GPUs

0 Likes

Originally posted by: genaganna

could you please verify whether Reduction_Kernel.cl exists at that location or not?

Yes, it exists. I'm "failing to run it" from the default install directory and have not made any modifications to anything. Sorry for the huge delay by the way. I had an important exam and had to put my OpenCL work on the backburner for a few weeks, but now I have time for a real attempt at getting this to work.

Taking a cue from babor, I suppose I too may have been attempting to run it on unsupported hardware. The GPU device reports:

Name: ATI RV670
Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
VendorID: 4098
DriverVersion: CAL 1.4.467
Profile: FULL_PROFILE
Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.0-beta4

I find it a bit strange that OpenCL would create a device for unsupported hardware, but at least this is progress. I suppose I should have checked if I had a supported card on the SDK download page. It just didn't occur to me that it could be unsupported. Guess I'll just order a new card.

0 Likes