Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

Brook+ app and multiple GPU host

How they will interact?

Will Brook-based app run only on first GPU ?
Will brook runtime balance load somehow between GPUs or what way multiple GPU config could be used inside broom app ?
0 Likes
6 Replies
gaurav_garg
Adept I

Brook+ runtime doesnot automattically do load balancing. This control is given to user in Brook+ 1.4. You can take a look at stream computing user guide for the details. There are sample that ship with Brook+ SDK those use multi-GPU implementation under CPP\apps\MonteCarlo_MultiGPU and CPP\tutorials\MultiGPU.

The default GPU is the first one.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: gaurav.garg

Brook+ runtime doesnot automattically do load balancing. This control is given to user in Brook+ 1.4. You can take a look at stream computing user guide for the details. There are sample that ship with Brook+ SDK those use multi-GPU implementation under CPP\apps\MonteCarlo_MultiGPU and CPP\tutorials\MultiGPU.

The default GPU is the first one.

Ah, thanks a lot! Perhaps missed those pages in manual at first reading
0 Likes

You can follow the CPP examples to target a specific GPU in a mult-gpu system. 

But we have a cluster of CPUs each of which has multiple GPUs, and we've found that the simplest way is to address each GPU is to use "setenv DISPLAY :0.x" in csh, where x = 0, 1, 2, ... is the id of the GPU.  We then use MPI to fire up a job on each GPU in the cluster.  Message passing between the jobs are handled by MPI calls.  We have found this method to be most scalable for a distributed multi-gpu cluster.  You write one code using MPI, and it would work on a single multi-gpu machine or a cluster containing any number of multi-gpu machines.  No complicated multi-gpu brook+ APIs.

When it comes to load balancing, you are on your own.  But if you have symmetric GPUs, load balancing is not needed.

0 Likes

Thanks, interesting approach.
My current app is single-host based but will keep it for future
0 Likes

Originally posted by: hagen You can follow the CPP examples to target a specific GPU in a mult-gpu system. 

But we have a cluster of CPUs each of which has multiple GPUs, and we've found that the simplest way is to address each GPU is to use "setenv DISPLAY :0.x" in csh, where x = 0, 1, 2, ... is the id of the GPU.  We then use MPI to fire up a job on each GPU in the cluster.  Message passing between the jobs are handled by MPI calls.  We have found this method to be most scalable for a distributed multi-gpu cluster.  You write one code using MPI, and it would work on a single multi-gpu machine or a cluster containing any number of multi-gpu machines.  No complicated multi-gpu brook+ APIs.

Thank you! This is very useful information.

When it comes to load balancing, you are on your own.  But if you have symmetric GPUs, load balancing is not needed.

Does this mean that by default there's no assumption that the multiple GPUs must be identical (or even in the same family)? For example, can I add a Radeon 5700 to my desktop specifically for stream programming, while the display is connected to the old Radeon 4000?

Also, why is load balancing not needed when GPUs are symmetric? Do you assume that multiple tasks have the same length?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Originally posted by: hagen You can follow the CPP examples to target a specific GPU in a mult-gpu system. 

Can you explain a bit more? I'm new to MPI, but don't have much knowledge about Linux

Do you:

Run a job that setenv=0.0 then

Open another csh run a job that setenv=0.1 then

Open another csh run a job that setenv=0.2 then

Open another csh run a job that setenv=0.3

So any first core in a machine run a job that runs on first GPU, second core run another job on second GPU and so on?

I confuse about your technique, can you post it in a blog with some flow chart...

Help...

0 Likes