Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

minimaxcz
Journeyman III

HDMI-CEC

How to communicate over HDMI-CEC protocol

Hi, is it possible to access HDMI-CEC function of my integrated ATI graphic controller of my mobo ? I would like to write a plug-in for MediaPortal application to turn on tv when app starts. But I can't find any information about it. It is ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to do this? Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
3 Replies
minimaxcz
Journeyman III

This forum seems to be dead... Does anyone read it?

0 Likes

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post your question.  I don't know the answer but perhaps other posters here can help?

0 Likes

Ok, maybe we need to shed some light on that before asking questions CEC stands for "Consumer Electronic Control" and currently marketed as Toshiba REGZA Link, Panasonic Viera Link, etc. Essentially it is a possibility to control on HDMI device via remote control of another one. One simplest example would be to start/stop playback of your HTPC via single remote control of your CEC-enabled TV. Physical communication channel is bidirectional serial bus.

CEC was a part of HDMI specification from ver 1.0, but its implementation is optional. But we can see increasing support of this protocol from various CE devices (especially TV boxes). My understanding is that as of Sept 2009 neither of AMD, NVidia and Intel support CEC in their HDMI-enabled video cards. CEC is here for a long time, and all of them eventually will need to support it, and I do believe whoever will support it first, will get market competitive advantage (especially in HTPC segment, AMD 780/790 are playing).

So I have a few questions:

• Is currently available HDMI-enabled GPUs can physically send/receive information over CEC-line (pin 13/17)?
  • If yes, would you be able to expose this API similar way you did with I2C in ADL SDK? CEC protocol has some complexities, but there are quite a few developers worldwide that are interested to take it from here
  • If no, are you planning to add support CEC support in your future products?