cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

C:\OpenCL\runtime\src\device\cpu\cpucommand.cpp:301: Unimplemented()

Hi compiling Apple sample from developer center arrallel reduction

I get

C:\OpenCL\runtime\src\device\cpu\cpucommand.cpp:301: Unimplemented()

and a message box visual c++ runtime error!

when  clFinish(commands) after clEnqueueNDRangeKernel

all calls before are without error!

What's the problem?

0 Likes
3 Replies
lmoriche
Staff

The runtime has detected a deadlock caused by an unbalanced use of the barrier() function. Not all work-items in the work-group have executed the same number of barriers.

The runtime abort will be replaced by a termination of the current command and possibly an invalidation of the context in a future release.

0 Likes

OpenCL spec says : All the work-items of a work-group must execute the barrier construct before any are allowed to continue execution beyond the barrier.

But in the reduction kernel provided by apple the barrier is inside a conditional statement on thread_local_id, which is wrong.

So here is the right kernel :

// // File: reduce_float_kernel.cl // // Abstract: This example shows how to perform an efficient parallel reduction using OpenCL. // Reduce is a common data parallel primitive which can be used for variety // of different operations -- this example computes the global sum for a large // number of values, and includes kernels for integer and floating point vector // types. // // Version: <1.0> // // Disclaimer: IMPORTANT: This Apple software is supplied to you by Apple Inc. ("Apple") // in consideration of your agreement to the following terms, and your use, // installation, modification or redistribution of this Apple software // constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you do not agree with these // terms, please do not use, install, modify or redistribute this Apple // software. // // In consideration of your agreement to abide by the following terms, and // subject to these terms, Apple grants you a personal, non - exclusive // license, under Apple's copyrights in this original Apple software ( the // "Apple Software" ), to use, reproduce, modify and redistribute the Apple // Software, with or without modifications, in source and / or binary forms; // provided that if you redistribute the Apple Software in its entirety and // without modifications, you must retain this notice and the following text // and disclaimers in all such redistributions of the Apple Software. Neither // the name, trademarks, service marks or logos of Apple Inc. may be used to // endorse or promote products derived from the Apple Software without specific // prior written permission from Apple. Except as expressly stated in this // notice, no other rights or licenses, express or implied, are granted by // Apple herein, including but not limited to any patent rights that may be // infringed by your derivative works or by other works in which the Apple // Software may be incorporated. // // The Apple Software is provided by Apple on an "AS IS" basis. APPLE MAKES NO // WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED // WARRANTIES OF NON - INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A // PARTICULAR PURPOSE, REGARDING THE APPLE SOFTWARE OR ITS USE AND OPERATION // ALONE OR IN COMBINATION WITH YOUR PRODUCTS. // // IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR // CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ( INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF // SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS // INTERRUPTION ) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE, REPRODUCTION, MODIFICATION // AND / OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE, HOWEVER CAUSED AND WHETHER // UNDER THEORY OF CONTRACT, TORT ( INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE ), STRICT LIABILITY OR // OTHERWISE, EVEN IF APPLE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. // // Copyright ( C ) 2008 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved. // //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #ifndef GROUP_SIZE #define GROUP_SIZE (64) #endif #ifndef OPERATIONS #define OPERATIONS (1) #endif //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #define LOAD_GLOBAL_F1(s, i) \ ((__global const float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)] #define STORE_GLOBAL_F1(s, i, v) \ ((__global float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)] = (v) //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #define LOAD_LOCAL_F1(s, i) \ ((__local float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)] #define STORE_LOCAL_F1(s, i, v) \ ((__local float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)] = (v) #define ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(s, i, j) \ { \ float x = ((__local float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)]; \ //Removed barrier from here float y = ((__local float*)(s))[(size_t)(j)]; \ ((__local float*)(s))[(size_t)(i)] = (x + y); \ } //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// __kernel void reduce( __global float *output, __global const float *input, __local float *shared, const unsigned int n) { const float zero = 0.0f; const unsigned int group_id = get_global_id(0) / get_local_size(0); const unsigned int group_size = GROUP_SIZE; const unsigned int group_stride = 2 * group_size; const size_t local_stride = group_stride * group_size; unsigned int op = 0; unsigned int last = OPERATIONS - 1; for(op = 0; op < OPERATIONS; op++) { const unsigned int offset = (last - op); const size_t local_id = get_local_id(0) + offset; STORE_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, zero); size_t i = group_id * group_stride + local_id; while (i < n) { float a = LOAD_GLOBAL_F1(input, i); float b = LOAD_GLOBAL_F1(input, i + group_size); float s = LOAD_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id); STORE_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, (a + b + s)); i += local_stride; } #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 512) if (local_id < 256) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 256); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); //Added barrier here #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 256) if (local_id < 128) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 128); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 128) if (local_id < 64) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 64); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 64) if (local_id < 32) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 32); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 32) if (local_id < 16) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 16); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 16) if (local_id < 😎 { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 8); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 😎 if (local_id < 4) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 4); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 4) if (local_id < 2) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 2); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif #if (GROUP_SIZE >= 2) if (local_id < 1) { ACCUM_LOCAL_F1(shared, local_id, local_id + 1); } barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE); #endif } if (get_local_id(0) == 0) { float v = LOAD_LOCAL_F1(shared, 0); STORE_GLOBAL_F1(output, group_id, v); } }

0 Likes

You might report the bug to Apple, or add a comment on the page of the source, if there is a button to at the bottom.

To report a bug to Apple go to:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/

-  click login ( you may need to register)

- click Bug Reporting along the right hand side.  You might want to include the URL of the page.

0 Likes