cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rahulgarg
Adept II

Compute shaders on mobility radeons

I was wondering which mobility radeons support compute shaders?

0 Likes
9 Replies
dinaharchery
Journeyman III

I have a Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570 running on my laptop and can run shader. However, you have to modify the Catalyst Driver so it will run on the card.

I have not been able to find out why other than it seems the laptop maker decided against drivers other than those provided by them. You can google Mobility Modder.NET for software that makes modifying the driver signatures such that they can run on your mobility card easily.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: dinaharchery I have a Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570 running on my laptop and can run shader. However, you have to modify the Catalyst Driver so it will run on the card.

I have not been able to find out why other than it seems the laptop maker decided against drivers other than those provided by them. You can google Mobility Modder.NET for software that makes modifying the driver signatures such that they can run on your mobility card easily.

How did you managed it to work? I have Mobility Radeon 4570 and installed modded Catalyst 9.9 on Win 7 64. Compute Shaders still doesn't work.

0 Likes
rahulgarg
Adept II

Just to clarify, my question is whether the CAL compute shaders work on mobility radeons and I do not mean the DX11 compute shaders.

I am using Linux x64.

0 Likes

Rahul,
Any radeon that is based on the 700 series of cards or later support CAL compute shaders.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Rahul, Any radeon that is based on the 700 series of cards or later support CAL compute shaders.

Actually 4550 (RV710) and 4670 (RV730) doesn't support compute shaders. Can be easily checked with SKA and documentation also stands for that.

0 Likes

empty_knapsack,
What documentation are you referring to? The hardware supports compute shader on those chips.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow empty_knapsack, What documentation are you referring to? The hardware supports compute shader on those chips.

There isn't much documentation for ATI GPUs, I'm talking about "Stream_Computing_User_Guide.pdf" though I'm not completely correct. It stand for "only 4850, 4870 & FireStream 9250 supports compute shader mode", there no mentions for 4550 & 4670 at all. However, as I wrote, try to compile any cs shader for RV710 or RV730 -- it's impossible. I'm attaching simple compute shader. With SKA (with CAL 9.4) it says "Hardware compilation error" for RV710 & RV730 as targets. Simple compute shader attached.

il_cs_2_0 dcl_num_thread_per_group 64 dcl_resource_id(0)_type(2d,unnorm)_fmtx(float)_fmty(float)_fmtz(float)_fmtw(float) dcl_literal l1, 1023, 10, 0, 0 mov r1.x,vaTid0.x iand r2.x,r1.x,l1.x ushr r2.y,r1.x,l1.y iand r2.y,r2.y,l1.x itof r2.x,r2.x itof r2.y,r2.y sample_resource(0)_sampler(0) r3, r2.xy00 mov g[r1.x].x___,r1.x mov g[r1.x]._y__,r3.x mov g[r1.x].__z_,r3.y mov g[r1.x].___w,r3.z end

0 Likes

And after updating SKA to v1.3 I've got that compute shaders also doesn't supported on HD4770 (same "Hardware Compilation failed"). Luckily I haven't seen it before so I used compute shaders on 4770 already.

So, yeah, I guess compute shaders probably supported on any RV700 devices but it isn't documented at all and SKA suggests opposite. The ATI way to document things, I've got it already, thanks a lot...

0 Likes

That should be reported as a problem to the SKA team. As this should just 'work'. All the 7XX series of chips have compute shader enabled in them and you can verify this by querying the capability of the card through the CAL interface. That being said, the 4550/4670 are not 'officially supported' as per the user guide but that does not mean they won't work.
0 Likes