cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ryta1203
Journeyman III

Compute Mode Questions

1. Where do the docs talk about compute shader mode?

2. Why do I get the "No Error" string for a kernel that doesn't return CAL_RESULT_OK??? There is obviously an error but it tells me "don't worry about it.. no error... but your kernel still won't run, so sorry"!? EDIT: Kernel compiles fine in SKA.

3. Do you have to sample from an offset. If VaTid is the global thread id, why can't I just sample (either sampling or getting from/to the global buffer) from that (like you would with vWinCoord0)?

4. If I'm sampling the inputs as streams in compute shader mode, do I have to allocate the resource as global?

5. Can you burst write in CS?

6. Where is the docs that talk about CS?

0 Likes
46 Replies

Micah,

Yes, I was using float, not float4, must have been my problem.

Again though, I didn't notice any difference between my input being tiled or linear (using the GLOBAL flag for my inputs), the results were the same using the same exact kernel.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Ryta, If you look at 1.2.5.6 of the Stream Computing User Guide,

Ok, thanks, I thought that was just "one example".

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Ryta, If you look at 1.2.5.6 of the Stream Computing User Guide, it shows you the tiled memory format. 1,0 is B and 0,1 is C. Also, is your format a float4? the global buffer only works on 128 bits with a straight move, you can do conditional moves to various components to get 32bit writes.

Micah,

Going off that pattern then the fourth element is 1, 1, not 2,2 correct? This is assuming that the 4th element is D and that the term "element" is generic, so D is in 1, 1.

If each letter were a float then the fourth element would be 2,2 assuming float4 usage, yes?

0 Likes

Yeah, your right, i was basing all my calculations with a 1,1 offset.

As for each letter, each letter is an element, or vector, not a component and is determined by your data format of the resource. So, if you have a float format, then D would be the 4th float value, but if your format is float4, then the D element is floats 12-15, or the fourth float4 vector.
0 Likes

Ok, Micah, thank you.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Yeah, your right, i was basing all my calculations with a 1,1 offset. As for each letter, each letter is an element, or vector, not a component and is determined by your data format of the resource. So, if you have a float format, then D would be the 4th float value, but if your format is float4, then the D element is floats 12-15, or the fourth float4 vector.

Is there a significant reason why you would use a 1,1 offset that we should know about?

0 Likes

Nope,
Just a mistake on my part.
0 Likes