Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Lonesled
Staff

GPU PerfStudio 2.0 is now available

The next generation GPU Performance Analysis & Debugging Tool from AMD

We are pleased to announce the final availability of GPU PerfStudio 2.0 the next generation GPU Performance Analysis & Debugging Tool from AMD.

GPU PerfStudio 2.0 supports the following:

* Support for DX10 and DX10.1 applications
* Integrated Frame Profiler
* Integrated Frame Debugger
* Integrated Shader Debugger with support DirectX™ HLSL and ASM
* Client / Server model
* GPU PerfStudio 2.0 Client runs locally or remotely over the network
* GPU PerfStudio 2.0 Server supports 32-bit and 64-bit applications
* No special build required for your application.
* Customizable Client GUI, define and save your own window layouts
* Drag and drop your application onto the server to start debugging
* No installation required – copy and run anywhere – your settings go with you

You can download this version from the AMD developer website here:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/PerfStudio/Pages/default.aspx

0 Likes
13 Replies

Some links on the Welcome page in GPS don't work. It's looking for conectionroot.html in the current directory, for instance, when it's actually all in the 'html' folder rather than 'Welcome'.

Also, if you just unzip the package, Windows will set the 'blocked' flag on all the files if it came from the Internet. That means the CHM help file doesn't work till you go to Windows Explorer and unblock the file.

0 Likes

The Welcome page opens directly within the tool. It is not intended that the user open these directly in a web browser.  The links that don't work redirect from within the tool to the built in help system.

Also - can you give more information on the circumstances under which the 'blocked' flag is set.  I haven't seen this on any of the systems I've tested with. Which operating system and browser versions does this occur with? 

0 Likes

Originally posted by: callan The Welcome page opens directly within the tool. It is not intended that the user open these directly in a web browser.  The links that don't work redirect from within the tool to the built in help system.

Sure, I understand that. But the links still don't work even within the program, and the page shown is clearly the HTML content in the 'Welcome' subfolder.

Also - can you give more information on the circumstances under which the 'blocked' flag is set.  I haven't seen this on any of the systems I've tested with. Which operating system and browser versions does this occur with?

Windows Vista Business x64 SP1, file downloaded through Firefox. Any file sourced from the internet gets the Windows 'blocked' flag applied by default, which is what causes executables to display that "are you sure you want to run this application, files downloaded from the net might be harmful" dialogue when you run them. I also found this had been applied to the CHM after unzipping. Presumably Windows replicates the blocked flag to the unzipped files when decompressing - at least when using the built-in Windows unzipper. I used that, not WinZip or 7-zip etc. I only noticed this because with this flag in place, the CHM won't display the contents of any topic, just IE navigation error pages.

0 Likes

Are you running GPU PerfStudio from a network share - or from your local hard drive?  We've seen similar issues due to IE security etc. when running from a network but not from local.

0 Likes

Nope, this is when running from a local folder. To clarify, which behaviour is it you're not seeing - the links on the welcome page not working or the blocked flag being set on the files?

(Side note: I'm not receiving any email notifications about responses here, despite my address being correct. Is there something wrong with the forum? It claims I'm subscribed to this thread.)

0 Likes

Will there be a Linux version?

0 Likes
gavinb
Journeyman III

Looks great!  Any timeframe for OpenGL support?

OpenGL is critical for cross-platform development, so I hope this will come soon.

0 Likes

I am using Windows 7 and can't figure out how to enable the performance counters. Your help would be appreciated.

- Wolf

0 Likes

I think I used the method described here

http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=50

to enable the performance counters on Windows 7.

0 Likes

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry for the delay response. The issue is likely related to the detection of the 5870 and it not being fully supported in the 2.0 release, as the hardware was not available at that time. Please email me directly if you are still having trouble - <firstname>.<lastname> at amd dot com.

Cheers

0 Likes
et1
Adept II

I can only hope that the next version is not too far off. I don't want to wait another year and a half. GPU PerfStudio 2.0 is nice, but it could use at least some fixes of shader debugging.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: et@et3d.com I can only hope that the next version is not too far off. I don't want to wait another year and a half. GPU PerfStudio 2.0 is nice, but it could use at least some fixes of shader debugging.

Hey Et,

Could you describe the issues with shader debugging that you're seeing? If you have any repro cases you could email me that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Seth.

0 Likes

I got this to work somehow. I have the client and server on Win7 32-bit running on the same machine with a 5870. Unfortunately all the ms are 0.000 with one exception that is 0.001 ... something is wrong. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I looked into the UAC. On Win7 I have a slider to reduce it and I reduced it to the lowest level. The bat file that switches on the performance counters said it was successful.

Your help is appreciated,

- Wolf

0 Likes