Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

prako
Journeyman III

Tools that help in parallel programming

Hi,
can someone please tell me what tools could help me in parallelise single threaded code. I tried to use Intel TBB, Intel Thread checker. Seems like both are not supported. Though TBB is open source and is supposed to be supported on AMD archi, im not able to install on my AMD Athlon64. Please help me find the missing link.
                                              Also if there any AMD specific tools that would help me in suggesting the hot spots, problem areas that wud hamper my effort to parallelise legacy c, c++ code kindly suggest.

Also i want to unit test a piece of code that i've parallelised using openmp. Could someone tel me if there is any AMD tool out there. If not how cud i do it without knowin the functionality of the function(Code being so huge i didnt try to understand the function).

0 Likes
2 Replies
stroia
Staff

I'm checking with our engineers to see if they know of any problems using Intel ThreadChecker on AMD.  I know that Intel's open source library is supposed to be compatible on AMD.  I'm not so sure about the thread checker though. .

As far as AMD tools for thread checking, you can use AMD CodeAnalyst Performance Analyzer.  There is a Thread Profiling feature that will show you a thread chart and non-local memory access.  It's a free download.

Also, all of the AMD Performance Libraries are multithreaded, so you get multithreaded performance for those functions without having to write multithreaded code yourself. 

I know Microsoft also has Parallel Libraries included in the new Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4.0 Beta which I know works fine on AMD. 

Hope that helps.  I'll let you know if I find anything about Intel's thread checker not working on AMD. 

0 Likes

Thx Stroia,
I wud also lik to know y Intel TBB isnt working on my AMD system. TBB is an Open source project.

0 Likes