cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ryta1203
Journeyman III

Texture/ALU clauses

If the TEX and ALU clauses run in parallel and there exists a dependency, is the ALU clause execution halted until the TEX clause is complete? Or just until the dependency is resolved?

It would seem to me that the entire TEX clause would have to complete before allowing the ALU clause to execute, thus if only one dependency exists there might be a long cycle count (assuming a 4 to 1 cycle count and 8 fetches/TEX that would be a 32 cycle latency) before the ALU clause would be allowed to execute because of one dependency?

Is this correct? If so or not, can I find this in the ISA docs and where?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Jawed
Adept II

Yes that's right, the entire texture clause must first finish.

Jawed

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Jawed Yes that's right, the entire texture clause must first finish.

Jawed

Can you point me to the doc that states this? Thanks.

0 Likes

Jawed,

I can only get your first link and that data is pretty old. I'd tend to agree with you though as it appears that is the case and that it makes sense, since switching is clause to clause (though they don't discuss it in detail and don't discuss the differences between fetch units and stream core units operations/switching/execution/etc). This is certainly implied in the docs but it doesn't appear to be explicitly stated.

0 Likes