Have you seen our list ofAMD HD3D Gold Recommended Displays
? Yes? Good. (For more information don't forget to look at our whitepaper on AMD HD3D technology )
What happens when you add the following technologies together?
AMD HD3D technology + AMD Eyefinity technology
Here are a couple examples:
A. 3 x Samsung 27” monitors (S27A950D)
You’ve heard it before. You need to see it to believe it, and it’s pretty much the same case with this setup. When you have 3 monitors in 3D mode to make a single large surface (SLS), the effect to say the least is incredibly immersive.
What you’ll need:
- 3 x Samsung S27A950D
- 1 (or more) x AMD Radeon™ 7000/6000 series graphics card with 3 or more (mini)DisplayPort outputs, for example:
- [MSI Radeon™ HD 7970 Lightning | http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/R7970%20Lightning?SearchFacets=category%3AGraphic%20Card]
- http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/HD7970-DC2T-3GD5?SearchFacets=category%3AGraphic%20Card">ASUS Radeon™ HD 7970 DirectCU II</a>
B. 3 x LG 23” monitors (D2342P)
C. 3 x ViewSonic 23” monitors (V3D231)
The choice between active shutter 3D (the Samsung monitor) and passive interleaved 3D (the LG and ViewSonic monitors) is subjective. When you choose one over the other there are tradeoffs, but for those of you who prefer the passive approach you can create a similar immersive experience.
What you’ll need:
- 3 x LG D2342P or 3 x ViewSonic V3D231
- 1 (or more) x AMD Radeon™ 7000/6000 series graphics card with 3 SL-DVI output
If adapters are necessary refer to thislink
- 3 x DVI cables
- Latest Software & Drivers (I’ll touch on this at the end of the article)
I really enjoy having 3 screens, because it covers most of my horizontal peripheral vision. (5 monitors = all) What if you just want to go big? I wouldn’t mind trading up for a big screen TV.
D. Sony 55” HX820 Series (KDL55HX820) & Compatible 3D Glasses
With a 55” big screen and AMD HD3D technology, you can watch 3D movies at the comfort of your sofa. Although if you are planning on gaming in 3D with current 3D TVs, you may need to dial back the resolution.
With most (if not all) 3D TVs you have to choose between the following 2 options:
1920 x 1080 @ 24/30Hz OR 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz
For a smooth gaming experience you will want at least 60Hz (120Hz total) per eye. With AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 series graphic card supporting 1920x1080 @ 120Hz over HDMI, you can have the best of both worlds, but until TVs in the market start to support this optional HDMI specification (Wait for it…
) I’d suggest you try changing the resolution to 1280x720 @ 60Hz to improve the 3D gaming experience.
Now you have all the necessary hardware. What do you need to do about software? For applications to watch 3D movies you can refer to our listhere
. Instead I’m going to focus on gaming.
Developed by Meant to be Seen, GameGrade3D is a consumer driven database of games and their compatibility with stereoscopic 3D solutions including DDD TriDef and AMD's HD3D format. Read reviews, submit results, and learn more about stereoscopic 3D gaming! Check out the list here
There are 2 software approaches to gaming in 3D.
1. Games with Native Support for AMD HD3D technology
- "http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/05/31/race-hard-party-hard-with-dirt-showdown/">DiRT Showdown</a>
- "http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/06/04/sniper-elite-v2-expands-on-its-tech/">Sniper Elite v2</a>
- "http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/11/01/two-worlds-ii/">Two Worlds II</a>
Certain games (hopefully more in the future) have support for AMD HD3D technology out of the box. No additional software is required; the 3D settings are enabled in the game options.
But don’t despair! Middleware will allow you play hundreds of other games that don’t natively support AMD HD3D technology.</p> Even Better! The listed Samsung, LG, ViewSonic 3D monitors come with a free OEM license of DDD's TriDef 3D. I’d suggest you upgrade your copy to the latest version (Version 5.3 as this date) from the TriDef's website.
Did You Know? You can update to the latest version of TriDef 3D Ignition using your free OEM license. (Or purchase a copy 50% off for AMD users)
- First install the OEM version of TriDef 3D that corresponds with your monitor. (You can find them all here: [http://www.tridef.com/download | http://www.tridef.com/download]
- Check that the OEM license is working correctly by launching TriDef 3D (It will prompt you if you have an incorrect/invalid license)
- Close the TriDef 3D application
- Download the latest retail copy of TriDef 3D and install it (Do not uninstall the OEM version)
- Run TriDef 3D Ignition
There you have it. Experience AMD HD3D Technology in a big way.
Do you have a question about any of our featured display technologies?
- Discrete Digital Multi Point Audio (DDMA)
- AMD Eyefinity technology
- DisplayPort 1.2 Multi Stream Transport (MST) (
Or do you want to see more computer tech gear/setups?
AMD Radeon™ 7970 GHz Edition - AMD CrossFireX technology (Link
Aftermarket Cooling - GPU Water blocks (Link
- Small Form Factor, Home Theatre PCs
- Computer peripherals (Keyboards, Mices, Headsets)
Let me know in the comments, or on Twitter @DavidTJO
David Tjong is on the Technical Marketing team at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites, and references to third party trademarks, are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.